Friday, September 11, 2009

Pondering...(I really cannot think of a grand title)

I just typed in "blog on national portrait gallery" and to my surprise they have a blog! And even more surprising it is update almost daily. In their blog, however, they are reflecting on the anniversary of Sept. 11, for obvious reasons. The museum, in my opinion, cultivates and embraces American history by displaying and exampling the lives of the most important or at least famous historical figures from the United States. I think that the museum was great because it slowed down the pace of history by imprinting in our minds the portraits of profound people, only realizing after I left that the lives of all of these individuals spanned over many years. Throughout these years our country has changed dramatically, but it is important to note that these changes were not all abrupt but rather working with one another to transform our country into its current state, whether you believe that its current state is good or bad.
The immense amount of change that occurs not only in our country, but also in everyone's life, American or not, is amazing, and that is where I come into confusion with St. Augustine's book. Augustine endorses, above all, that in order to attain stability and a life of eternity it is important to stop going through such drastic changes and accept what is and what isn't so that stability, through the word of the Lord, can enter into one's life. I mean that is what I think he is saying...? Correct me if I am wrong because I am having a difficult time with his insights. Nonetheless, I do believe it is important to not go looking for change because that is where one becomes lost and things go awry. But, on the same note how can one avoid change? Our minds are not meant to rest, but rather question and analyze things, so wherein do we find permanence and stillness? The only person, in my belief, that can stop change from occurring is God, but why would he want to stop change? Change promotes good and bad things. In order to achieve anything we need to be able to accept change and know that is is inevitable. I think life does make more sense once you find your spiritual beliefs, but I don't think I am old enough to want to stop change. I do think it is important, as Augustine notes multiple instances, to not go through life as a transient being. We need to eventually find our stable point in life, whether it is through going to church or meditating once a week, or else our lives here on earth will seem meaningless and that place to which we may go after death will be non- existent.

No comments: