Monday, September 21, 2009

Awesome.

You know, the word "awesome" is terribly overused and terribly misunderstood in todays' modern lexicon. I am as guilty as the rest of you, calling things like cell phones or hot dogs "awesome". Too bad, too, because the word should be saved for special places and occasions like the grand canyon. But seriously, according to the definition of awesome, would anything you've seen recently qualify as awe-inspiring? When's the last time you saw something sublime, dropping your jaw and making you feel small and insignificant? Unfortunately, most people using the word suffer from a dearth of awesome-worthy objects to describe. I usually have nothing to legitimately say "awesome" about, but last wednesday, I had a great subject.

On wednesday, our tour of the national cathedral was an AWESOME experience. The cathedrals' soaring vaulted ceilings and gothic architecture left me in a constant state of awe. And amazing architecture aside, the fact that every stone in the ENTIRE building was hand-carved is astounding. To think that 80 years was spent on the cathedral's construction boggles the mind. I was so distracted that I even lost my hat. It was a good hat, too. I miss it. Anyway, I went in to the experience expecting another example of american expediency, and came out impressed and feelin' good.

No comments: