Thursday, September 3, 2009

Drama Llama or Llama Drama?

3 months ago, I was at a YMCA in Gaithersburg, watching my brother swim. Now, those of you who have attended club swim meets know that they are full-day events, and my brother swam in both the first and the last events. So, I was in this YMCA for about 8 hours straight on a lovely Saturday. During one of the many breaks between my brother's events, I wandered into a room where I saw a glorious image floating before me. I pinched myself. Twice. I wasn't dreaming. There, mere feet in front of me, perched on the wall like a magnificent eagle, was a sublime wonder, a work of art.
"I must have it!" I muttered to myself, alarming several swimming moms around me.
It was a poster. Not just any poster, mind you. THE poster. The poster that would be the envy of all in my dorm. One poster to rule them all.
It was this poster.
It was so delightfully ridiculous and crazy that it was perfect. As I moved to rip it from the wall and stuff it into my pants, my normal poster-stealing method, a ripple of guilt went through me. I was in a YMCA. The young men's christian association. It would be tantamount to blasphemy, sacriligion to follow through with my devious plan. So I didn't take it. I couldn't.
A couple of weeks later, right before leaving for school, my mother said she had a going-away present for me. I couldn't believe my eyes when I unrolled THE POSTER! So, naturally, I thanked her profusely, and brought it straight to school.
I brought the poster for two reasons: one, it's hilariously ridiculous and actually kind of appropriate for a dorm room. Two, and more importantly, it reminds me that no matter what I do, no matter what I set upon as my goal, I have the support and love of my family behind me. They will always be there for me.
At first, according to one of my roommates, the poster made me appear to be a bit of a "doof", but once I explained the sentimental meaning of the poster, the aforementioned roomie thought me more sentimental than he had before. He also said that the poster described my personality in a way: "ridiculous, yet appropriate".
I'll take that.


No comments: