Monday, September 21, 2009

Besides the statistics...

I honestly appreciated some pieces of advice Debra Humphreys had for us, even if the discussion of standardized testing only aroused resentment (and the clapping... obviously many had been in the same [data-driven] boat).

The first good point: Look for opportunities to gain practical and solid knowledge. Employers gain insight about you by evaluating your work, volunteering, and internship experiences.

As obvious as it is, I myself perpetually need to be reminded of the learning to be reaped outside of class.

The second good point: For now, it is impossible for you to know of jobs that will exist when you are looking for a job.

Primarily: this point is very pacifying. As intensely as we might research to find out what we want, we will not know everything about our career prospects. Thankfully, we don't have to, and we can't, know everything. We might as well take a breather. Uff. Relax.

Secondarily: visualizing a workforce in constant flux, with a myriad of (yet inexistent, or unheard of) positions available in 2013-2020, is inspiring. It means that you and I should not limit ourselves to a major that is "vocational," "viable," "plausible," or "job-worthy." It means that we can combine the two most unrelated majors that interest us. Physics and international studies. Astronomy and linguistics. History and neurology? In our careers, we might just be lucky enough to forge our greatest passions into one. This is not a uniform world we live in.

The gist is to, as Joseph Campbell once said, "Follow your bliss..." Even if you don't see the prospects so clearly yet, if you're happy about what you're doing with your life and education, you'll experience enthusiasm-overflow and attract more of the good things to you.

"... and the universe will open doors where there were only walls."

1 comment:

Miranda said...

It really is inspiring and comforting that there will be so many unknown careers available to us when we graduate. When I think about that I too, feel much more relaxed. All I can say is PHEW. haha Also, I cannot to find out what your career will end up being since you want to do something like astronomy and international studies. Keep me updated! My biggest fear, though is obtaining a job that I really, really hate, but the way that Debra Humphrey made it sound, it is as though we should be able to do what we like, so fingers crossed, and I hope I do find a really amazing job, and the same to you!