Monday, September 7, 2009

Obituaries?

I have to say, I do think the idea of writing your own obituary is very creepy. But aside from the creepiness, Another problem that I have with it is the idea of writing down all your accomplishments and feats or whatever. I believe that half the fun of life is the mystery, the fact that you have NO idea where your life is going. I don't have a big problem with the idea of writing the obituary; it's great to set goals for yourself and even greater to follow through with them. Its the idea that you could possibly know anything about the way that your life could turn out. A better exercise would be to simply write down your goals.
ANYWAY, I definitely enjoyed Mrs. Walker's presentation, and I thought she looked great for her age ;). But seriously, I am a huge fan of "following your bliss", a philosophy of life given a name by Joseph Campbell. Anyway, Mrs. Walker certainly seems to be following her bliss, wherever it takes her, even if it means getting a PhD at 50. It was extremely inspiring to hear that you really can do whatever you really want to do, if it makes you happy. I would count myself lucky to have a story like hers by the time I die. Hmmm, maybe I'll write myself an obituary...

No comments: