Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Calling all Saints

Ok, first I need to get it out there that every time I pick up Saint Augustine's book the song "St. Augustine" by Band of Horses always comes into my head, and now it has been stuck in my head for over a week! And the funny part is that I don't see why Band of Horses named their song after our lovely author because I just looked up the lyrics, and I do not see any relation between the two, but maybe they just really liked Saint Augustine and/ or one of his many books. I don't know, it will remain a mystery to me, and oh great now the chorus to that song is on repeat in my mind again.
But, that whole paragraph was besides the point in that it really does nothing to answer our question for today, so to cut to the chase...
The fact that Augustine describes his life and relays the trials and tribulations that he went through to become a bishop and a very religious man is interesting. I have never heard of this book before, and this saint until now... and I am Catholic. Although, I did not go to Catholic school at all, only the two hours or so a week of Sunday school lessons which always went right over my head, and I really never learned anything to by honest, which is really sad to think about, I find it strange to only hear about such an influence Catholic at age 18.
Anyways, I do believe that this book's main purpose is to convey to other LITERATE Catholics, and therefore more than likely wealthy, that he suffered a lot to get where he was but that Augustine did have a divine intervention. Augustine wants to disprove of the doubts that others may cast on his background and portray that God wants him in the position as the bishop. This books serves to legitimize Augustine's claims that he may have told others and to legitimize that he should be a bishop because even though he may have turned away from God at a younger age, he changed immensely. Others may have been jealous of Augustine's appointment to such a high office in the Catholic church, or thought that Augustine was unworthy or not the best fit for bishop at the time. I'm sure many knew knew about Augustine's past-- living with a mistress and even having a child, but never marrying her due to her social status and indulging in many other pleasures of life that are looked down upon by the church--, and I think that Augustine does not want to deny his past experiences, but rater show how everything culminated and produced the man that he became-- a devout and prominent Catholic figure. Therefore, Augustine is advertising that it does not matter what sins you have committed prior to being baptized and becoming a Catholic because God will forgive you and his mercy with heal those who promise to change their ways, like Augustine did. Confessions is in part a way to convey the power of the Catholic church, and to devoid those who are in the Catholic community of any of the doubts that they may possess towards the healing power of God-- that's the punchline. Augustine is the poster child for God's ability to forgive once one has sinned; sinned once or sinned many times. At first I did think that the punchline was to increase the number of attendants in the Catholic church but I think that this is an indirect effect of the book and not the main concern. Many people at this time were illiterate and therefore they would not be able to read Augustine's book, but the educated and especially other religious people would be able to read this book. I think that Augustine wanted those types of people to read his book and propagate Catholicism, which would increase the number of Catholics, and thus the amount of money and power that the Catholic church would have at that time... and it worked! The Catholic church, throughout history became increasingly powerful and influential in the lives of many and it continues to do so until this day. Augustine is probably looking down from Heaven and smiling to see how wonderfully successful he was and continues to be.

No comments: