Sunday, September 6, 2009

Are You Seriously Telling Me This?

When Danna Walker visited our class this past Friday she made a comment that left me completely dumbstruck. She said that a very helpful piece of advice she could give would be for us to stop stressing so much. I stared at her in absolute amazement. I began to wonder if maybe she didn't realize that she was talking to a group of college freshmen. I mean, telling a group of undergrads not to stress is like telling them not to breathe. . . for me anyway. And isn't part of the college package, besides dealing with a disorganized bookstore, loads and loads of stress? I began to think of how much I worry about school. And the more I thought and thought, I realized that I pretty much worry about everything. I worry about such insignificant things that really shouldn't be bothered with. I realized how much time is wasted worrying, time that can be put to better use.

The more I thought about this stress problem I began to wonder if maybe stress stemmed from self-doubt. There are moments when I question what it is that I can and can't do and there and these are the moments when the worrying begins. So I should no longer question my abilities and worry about my weaknesses but rather act on my strengths. After all, great things aren't achieved by the meek and the close-minded but rather by those who are willing to dive into things without any sense of fear or stress.

No comments: