Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Augustine & Alzheimers

It is very odd to have to think deeply about memory because in doing so one's brain feels as though it is doing a loop- de- loop in that it is hard to grasp and theorize about the concept of memory. When I was reading Chapter X of Confessions I remember possessing the same feeling, a feeling of utter confusion, which forced to re- read some passages. But, as always I will attempt to dissect the question that was posed in order to compile my structured response.
To start, I do not think that Augustine's purpose of conveying that there is such a thing as "strategic remembrance" brings problems to his claim that one is also able to remember innate responses, such as emotions like sadness and happiness. Memory is different for each individual person because the events that one remembers are distinct to the experiences that one is exposed to throughout one’s lifetime. And, I think that these special experiences are what contributes to the label of "strategic remembrance" because we are each able to recall certain past events when we want to. However, all human being’s biological makeup is relatively in similar in that, among other things, we all possess the same number of chromosomes, not taking into account genetic diseases, and therefore we are wired to respond to certain situations in a similar fashion—unifying us as humans. For example, during a tragic event we all weep and feel sad together, during a wedding we are all happy and our faces display images of elation. Is someone standing at the doors of a church instructing everyone to place a smile on their face once they step foot into the door? No. Did someone tell the entire nation to cry for all those lives that were lost during 9/11? No. But rather humans are able to tell when certain emotions are necessary and this is an innate response, which connects humans to one another. And sometimes it is almost beautiful to think about— the things that make humans, humans, instead of focusing what makes us all different from each other. I hope that answers the part a. of the question because part of me is a little worried that my answer is too complex, but this question is really hard to answer in words. It is as though I know the answer is hidden inside of my head but I cannot describe it, which plays into Augustine's description of memory— how ironic.
Now on to part b. with a really bad transition: I really enjoyed the content of the Alzheimer's article, and I believe that if I was unable to remember my past I would still be myself. I may not be able to remember my past but in the present I would still perform actions that demonstrated who I am. The same was true for the Gisela Webb's mother. She describes that when she played the music that her mother used to enjoy at a younger age, she "responded with enjoyment and even bodily rhythm," (Webb, http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/2009/alzheimers/essay_webb-greatunlearning.shtml). Therefore, I think that even if I am unable to remember my past, I will still act like myself, even if I am acting like a child because I think that I’m actually in childhood, and in reality I may be 70 years old. I think that even if my habits and personality may not match my age, I am still me because I should still portray some of the aspects of my personality because those aspects are embedded somewhere inside of myself, somewhere inside of my memory, a part of memory that has nothing to do with recalling past events but with responses to certain situations and interests.

2 comments:

ProfPTJ said...

Is it a problem that the kinds of responses that you are referring to might be, not just automatic, but characteristic of human beings as such instead of characteristic of a particular human being? Is membership in a species sufficient, or is a personal identity intrinsically valuable?

Miranda said...

I think that membership in a species is sufficient because how else can something be innate? Innate means that is was there upon being born and not learned as a result of experiences, and if all humans possessed the sense of happiness upon birth as a response to certain situations then how else could this be possible for every person in the world. I attributed this to humans as a whole because it seemed logical, but I don't really have a clear answer and of course I could be incorrect.