Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Joys of a Dirty Blanket

To state the obvious, Texas is an extremely hot place. It's the type of hot where every summer you're vying for the friendship of that neighbor kid you had never talked to all year but you know he has an amazing swimming pool in his backyard. However, Texas winters can also have their cruel moments. Therefore, a warm, cozy, blanket is always greatly appreciated. A blue five-year-old blanket was one of the first items that I packed into my suitcase when preparing to leave to DC. Printed in the front are the words "Houston, Texas" and on the top there's an imprint of a football helmet. I honestly have no idea who the Houston, Texans are in regards to the sport. The only reason why I even have this blanket in the first place is because it was bought as a last minute necessity for a school trip. Little did I know that this blanket would soon become an object of security and comfort. I became so accustomed to its warmth during winters that there was no way I was going to college without it. When others see this blanket they might think "oh, she's not accostumed to the cold so she really needs a blanket". They might even establish my identity as a childish person who constantly feels the need to be warm and enveloped. However,to me, this blanket represents everything that is warm and comfortable about home. To me, it has become a symbol and constant reminder that even though I have entered moments of self-discovery and independence by coming to college, you should never forget where you came from for that is where you first began.

When I asked my roommate Katie what she thought about the blanket her first guess was that I was proud to be from Texas. She was correct in this since I am proud that I come from the south (even if at times TX is not always seen in the best light). She then ventured to guess that I am a football fan. That was TOTALLY wrong since the only football games that I have ever seen were the ones that I was forced to watch in high school. But I do understand how this blanket could give off that impression. Her third opinion was that there was a certain childish side of me. In a way that is correct. Though I am not childish in character (I hope not anyways) I am childish in the way that just like little kids, I also like to cling on to things of great value to me. In the end, I learned that at times only the posessor of an item is the one who truly knows the true meaning behind their precious object.

No comments: