Saturday, October 24, 2009

Putting a Stop to the Excuses

I have to admit that out of all the speakers that have come to our class so far, Dr. Kerwin has been the best one. For being an image of success and perseverance, he talked in a very humbling yet inspirational tone. His message was a simple one, that I'm pretty sure many of us have heard and possibly live by (I know I do), and that was that if you want something, go get it. The only obstacle you will ever face when wanting to get something, is yourself. When Dr. Kerwin first said this, I struggled to suppress a rolling of the eyes. It sounded so cliched and like something you would find on one of those posters pasted around my high school cafeteria or library. You know which ones, the ones that say something inspirational like "Courage" and then have a very inspirational picture on them. The message is so simple (and a little corny) but behind it lies so much power, if only one is willing to accept it. Living with no obstacles means living with no excuses. It means that if one wants something then just go get it, don't let anything hold you back.

There have been many times when I have wanted something, but I end up not getting it because I let fear dominate me, or I would make excuses like "Oh, I'll do it tomorrow" when really, I was just making excuses so that I would not have to face a challenge for fear of failing. Yet I've learned to hate regret, it's probably one of the worst feelings in the world. But for me, this is precisely why regret happens, because I allow myself to become my own obstacle, I deny myself the things that I want and wish for. However, ever since my arrival at AU, I have had my uncomfortable moments. At first, I thought that I was just learning how to adapt to a new environment, but since last Friday's class, I now understand that feeling uncomfortable is just a sign that I am finally fighting for what it is that I want. No excuses, no fears.

No comments: