Friday, October 9, 2009

A Cost/ Benefit Analysis of My Life or something of that sort

I just glanced at this person's blog and since he/ she has an alias name I really do not know who it is, but I agree with his/ her annoyance to hearing the same advice from every presenter. Also, I find it interesting that all of our presenters have been women, and usually women, at least from my own personal experience, tend to worry more in general, but these women all advocated for not worrying abut the future because everything will work out. Well, my life is not a movie and there is a possibility that I won't have a success story like them. After all, why would PTJ bring in unsuccessful people to talk about their lives? But, this trend is definitely shedding an unrealistic aspect upon all of us. Sometimes life doesn't work out and people become unhappy about their careers, and I guess that is where I do worry. My parents have spent their whole lives with jobs they really disliked, and that is what I wish to avoid. I do not want to have spent all this time in college only to be unhappy in my career choice, so why shouldn't I worry, or rather how can I not worry? I have, to be honest, become less worried, but in the back of my mind, in the back of all of our mind's, we all have to be wondering where our lives will lead and if, in fact we are doing the right thing at this very moment by even being at American University.

If there is one more presenter who comes in and relays the same information that Mary Hansen and Diane Walker and Debra Humphrey stated I may begin to wonder if they all planned their presentations to coincide and to teach us that worrying is useless. Well, I already know that worrying isn't completely useless because sometimes it ensures that one is able to avoid problems in the future. I think that Mary Hansen is correct in saying that we do need to find what we like, but she made it seem as though we have all the time in the world to do so, but in reality we don't. It is already mid semester of my freshman year, and it feels as though we arrived here only a few weeks ago. Therefore, time, as I have observed, is never on anyone's side, and I don't see it as a cost to worry about the future, but rather a benefit so that one can be adequately prepared.

No comments: