Sunday, October 25, 2009

On Identity Analysis and a Booklet Full of Tricks...

I'm having a tough time getting through Habits of the Heart. I have a hunch that if I make it to chapter six the reading will serve as beneficial to an understanding of my own identity. For now, though, I'm trudging.

(I would appreciate anyone's insights - how's your progress extracting the main ideas? The topics covered are very hazy and nebulous to me...)

Thinking in retrospect about President Neil Kerwin's visit, I must admit I wasn't aware of opening up a can of worms. My question about purpose of the Strategic Plan lead to an unraveling of AU's past tarnished reputation. Still, in my view, President Kerwin chose his words carefully and handled the replies superbly, outlining causes for the new Strategic Plan without exaggeratedly obfuscating the truth.

Yet, I wonder - what was Professor Jackson's intent of bringing President Kerwin in? Had we asked the right questions during his visit? And, how did President Kerwin recognize his talk to us? Was it a motivational speech for the identity-befuddled Explorers, or was it a conscious and quelled defense of his mission to improve the school? Had he known we would bring up the subject?

No comments: