Friday, October 16, 2009

homesick

It seems like everyone is either going home or is homesick, I being of the latter category. I just put up a collage of photos and things that remind me of home on my wall and it made me long for all of those moments that I had captured in photographs. I should be excited because I just went for an interview for an internship for this spring, but instead I cannot help but feeling all alone, and it doesn't help that my roommate left for the weekend either. I think the internship possibility only solidified the sentiments that this blog post expressed, in that I, too, feel so grown up and alone at the same time.

All I keep thinking about is Thanksgiving, but that is over a month away. This whole semester is such a weird experiment because I did not know what to expect at all. I had no clue it would get this cold so soon, and so I am thankful that I convinced my parents to bring me my pea coat when they came here last month for a day. It is also an experiment in that I didn't know it would only take two months for me to be homesick. What I want more than anything right now is for it to stop raining and for my parents with my sister to come and pick me up and we go on a family vacation to anywhere.

I thought I would be used to this whole college thing by now, but in all honesty it still feels so strange. It feels strange to call this place home already when I have only been here for two months, but my real home was somewhere that I lived for 18 years. I was considering staying here over the summer to do an internship but I think I have made my decision to do one in the spring instead so that I can be at my real home for as long as possible.

3 comments:

s.friedman said...

If it's any help, I feel the same way! For me, it's somewhat easier I suppose because I'm an hour car drive away from my home, but still the homesick feeling remains no matter how many miles lay in between me and my "real home." Being so close with my family and loving my hometown doesn't help with the concept of being on my own and branching out. I love college and the experiences I've had, but I always seem to be counting down the days until I go home next time or get a visit from a family member. I find sometimes not being able to enjoy my entire time spent at home due to the fact that I anxiously await the day I have to leave my family again. I also find myself putting up a front sometimes and pretending like I'm not homesick to a) make myself feel that way more and b)not evoke a sense of weakness to my friends at college or my family back home. I've come to the conclusion it's part of the experience, to be positive, and to take things one day at a time!

chips&salsa said...

I think all of us have experienced that homsickness at one time or another. I think the real question is,how exactly do we become accustomed to new environments and locations?

Tails said...

These feelings happen! I found that coming to American from home this weekend was the worst feeling, because I would not be back until Thanksgiving. But the key word in that sentence is back. Because we will be going back. And everybody is a Oovoo, Skype, instant message, or cell phone call away. It isn't a replacement for home, but its a start.