Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Snoozing In

It seems like we're always joining communities. It's like we are constantly trying to get into circles that we believe are appropritate for us. For example, when applying to college, I was asking for admission into communities that I thought were suitable for me. The same when building my course schedule, I was choosing classes that I wanted, I guess you can say I was trying to join little communities based on my interests. As of now, I am happy where I am. But circumstances change, as do interests. Because I am happy where I am, and my vision of my future-self is not as clear as it was before, I wish to join a community that is not so "serious." Although now that I think about it, joining this community would be a drastic change for me. If I could join any community, I would join the community of people who aren't addicted to the "snooze" button. The wonderful people who are blessed with the ability of getting off their beds as soon as their alarms rings, a call to wake up and face the world.

The addiction to the snooze button started my sophomore year of high school. Actually, I'm not going to lie, I've had a problem with the snooze button for as long as I can remember. I just have so much trouble getting out of bed. This is how bad my addiction to the snooze button is; I have been known to hit the button for two hours straight, and once I hit the button the alarms goes off every five minutes. Now, I haven't been late to a single morning class this semester but let's just say that this inability to immediately get out of bed is getting very aggravating. Not only that, but I'm positive that it annoys my roommates. I know that at first glance, becoming part of a group of people who don't hit the snooze button ten times before getting off of bed may not sound like a serious community. Yet it would be great if I could become part of this community. No more precious hours wasted hitting the alarm; no more annoyed roommates; no more lying to myself whenever I set my alarm at an early hour fully knowing that I will not wake up that early; no more telling Corinne that I will go eat breakfast with her and then canceling because I decided to instead sleep in and hit the snooze button. Overall, I would seriously love to be part of this community and free myself from the chains of that evil snooze button.

5 comments:

princess said...

Your reference to the classes you choose actually being small communities is very interesting. Honestly I never thought about my class being a community. I’ve always considered that too small to be and community and the fact that it is only meeting at scheduled times hinders it from my definition of a community. It is different when considering this UC program because we all live together and we all are constantly interacting – forming friendships, but other classes just seem so scheduled that there is no bond. I wonder what your definition of a community is. In reference to your problem with the snooze button, I also suffer terrible with this problem to. It’s the fact that your bed is just so comfortable and you know that when you get up you actually have to accomplish something in your day. There have been many times that I have told my roommate I would do something and then back out because I just want those five more minutes. Good Luck changing your habits!!!

Bradgep said...

I too have a huge problem with the snooze button, unfortunately it's not even an alarm, it's my phone! So I have been known to reset the alarm to a later time. Pathetic. What I would suggest, however, to solve your problem would be to put your alarm clock across the room where you'll have to get out of bed to get it. Once you're already up, you'll probably stay up. Hopefully you and I can solve this terrible problem.

awrbi said...

Fortunately for me, I am not one to be guided by the infamous "snooze button." Unfortunately for me, instead I turn off my cellphone's alarm and simply drift back into a nice doze. I have become quite efficient with this, and no longer fall asleep for half an hour, now only a few minutes. I'm not exactly sure what it is that's so appealing about those extra couple of minutes, but there's definitely something. Probably just that sleep is that awesome. Who knows? You don't, I don't. Whatever may be the case, I wish you luck with your future snooze button issues. I suggest you heed Mr. Parker's advice: move the clock!

Corinne said...

This is how it happens every other night ...
Aline - "I think I wanna eat breakfast tomorrow morning."
Me - "Yeah ok what time you want to wake up for?" "Around 8:30? ok." "Are you going to wake up this time?"
Aline - "Yes I will cuz I really want to eat breakfast."

The following morning....
I text Aline... no reply
I call Aline ....
I text ALine .... reply: still sleeping.

This is how it's been for the entire semester!
I really hope it happens b4 we leave next weekend. Haha

anne said...

I think it's fair to say that everyone has snooze button issues, particularly when it's cold outside. It's always so much easier and more satifying in the short run to just stay in bed. But if you look at it as a lifestyle hitting the snooze button could be just sticking with what you know and are comfortable with. Just like if you hit the snooze button you miss class, if you never take risks you miss out on new experiences.