Saturday, November 7, 2009

College Cheesy(i?)ness

The other day I was feeling a bit nostalgic for my high school years. Of course, when one is feeling overwhelmed by the stress of homework and all that other good stuff, it is understandable to miss those carefree moments. Anyway, I was remembering my life as a little high school freshman. The year was 2005 (I think it was 2005?) and I was sitting in my freshman lit. class when my teacher announced that we would be reading Antigone. When reading the play, my teacher covered the basic stuff, stuff you could have found on Sparknotes. However, I have been amazed at the HUGE difference between the Antigone taught in high school and the Antigone taught in college. I mean, of course there's going to be a difference, college is college and high school is. . . well, high school. But I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I definitely prefer the college teaching of Antigone way better than the high school version of it.

In college, things are just observed more in depth, and of course, that's the way it should be, right? But the funny thing is that I've actually found myself applying knowledge learned in one class to another. I don't mean to sound conceited, but I'm very proud of myself. Until now, I had never really applied the knowledge from one class to another, at least not the way I am doing now. I just love how everyday I find myself finding new way of thinking about things that I thought I already knew, like Antigone. Take Antigone, for example, in Friday's class after defending King Kreon, I was left with the impression that behind every action there's a potential for good and evil. Things can't always be seen in only one way, there's depth and logic behind decisions that at times, the reader may never know the answer to. I had never thought about Antigone that much before as to draw that conclusion.

Anyway, besides the stress, I really like being in college. It's a stage in my life that I'm enjoying and though there are moments when I wish things were a bit easier, I just suck it up and think of all the new ideas that are yet to be discovered. (Didn't mean to sound my ending to sound cheesy.)

No comments: