Friday, November 13, 2009

Ambassador Quainton's Impact

I agree with this blog post in that Ambassador Quainton was very interesting. What I really loved, though was that what he was talking about concerning Nicaragua and America's history of trying to inflict our views onto other cultures, especially in Latin America, and that I am learning all about that in much more depth in an SIS class this semester-- Contemporary Latin America. The Ambassador's comment on Samuel Huntington was very familiar to me too, in that this week I had to read two pieces by him as well! I just love when classes interconnect with another, it makes me feel as though I am not learning random bits of information, but rather important pieces to an overarching puzzle of life. The same is occurred in high school as well. For instance, when I was learning about the scientific aspects of Darwin in biology at the very same time I was learning about the historical implications of Darwin's philosophy in another class.

I think after hearing the Ambassador speak I am going to try whole heatedly to not worry so much about the future in respect to a career. Maybe that's what I am supposed to take from Explorations: a feeling of reassurance about the future...? Because that is what continues to resonate when each guest speaker spoke to us. Actually, it is nice to know that we are expected to be comfortable with changing careers because I think that I am so used to change, and our entire generation is as well, that we would all become kind of bored at the same job forever and a change of scenery, whether it be a new posting to Kuwait like the Ambassador received or a new position in a similar corporation, it is always needed.

To tell the truth, I took this little quiz by the US State Department after one of the representatives came to Leadership Gateway, and I was definitely deterred away from the foreign service pathway after taking the test, and I thought that the civil service pathway would be a lot more friendly to foster a family and have a more normal life with. However, when Ambassador Quainton came to talk to us I was very intrigued by his job and he said he was on every continent in the world! That has always been my goal, to go to at least each continent once. Regardless, as I stated previously, I think I will just lay off of thinking of career paths as of now, because it seems as though they find you and you should not really go looking for them, though it is definitely still good to have prospective goals outlined for the future, in my view.

No comments: