Saturday, August 29, 2009

Reflection numero 1

Since this is my first reflection, I am at the moment hoping that I do this post correctly. I have just finished the Presentation of Self and I have found it insightful but also distressing. Goffman's attitude towards humans is of a cynic nature. I came across this quote in chapter 6. Goffman writes, "In Shetland Hotel, the staff had great freedom in regard to what was put in soups and puddings, because soups and puddings tend to conceal what is contained in them," (224). I found this sentence disturbing because Goffman asserts that humans are able to conceal their true selves from others by putting on a "front." Therefore, I deduce from this that Goffman is drawing a parallel between humans and such foods as "soups and puddings" because there is the striking similarity between these two forms in that they are able to trick others from finding what is actually inside of them. Since Goffman goes as far as making this comparison, even if it is not outright, he relays to us that he is cynical. Goffman does not place trust in the genuineness of human nature, and he believes that every action, either purposely or accidentally, is to elicit a specific response from those that are watching the so- called "performance." Yes, this point of view is interesting, but at the same time I dislike it greatly because it scares me-- it makes me realize that in reality, in the world in which we live, maybe nothing is real. But, I do not wish to believe this because I want to cling to my few idealistic tendencies for as long as they hold true for me in my own life.
Though Goffman did extensive research for The Presentation of Self, (as obviously displayed in the immense amount of footnotes) his documentation is from fifty years ago, and though times do not change that extensively in such a short period of time, I have yet to have firm reason to believe wholeheartedly in Goffman's observations. I will, however, use them as an observational tool, and throughout this Explorations course maybe I will possess more of the gumption toward humanity that Goffman conveys in his book.

PS: I did find this Spanish video on Goffman's life quite interesting, and if you don't know Spanish you can just look at the photos :)


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxPu6axeq2E

No comments: