Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reflection 1!!!!!!!!!!

After a week of talking and discussing the term “identity” we were finally asked to give our own definition of the term and in teams come to an agreement as to what “identity” was. Though the task sounded simple, it was actually a very tricky thing. I observed how many of us had our own view and meaning of what an identity actually was. One of the points that my group made was that an identity was simply “what made you, you”. The statement was so simple but it made me realize something so important. I realized that an identity is kind of like a safe box. By a safe box I mean that an individual gets to control what information, experiences, thoughts, and opinions we get store within ourselves. We get to choose what it is that can impact and mold the way we view our surroundings. PTJ made the point that there are also things we can’t control that can make up and identity such as your sex or ethnicity. But to this fact I must state that it all depends on what the individual chooses. There are some individuals who may choose to not see their ethnicity or gender as part of their identity. Though I do think Goffman can be cynical I must say that he doesn’t do it for a dislike of society’s ways but rather as a way to emphasize how at times being distrustful can alter the way we view ideas and can therefore help us raise questions that we wouldn’t have really pondered upon if we had been good trusting citizens. Going back to the whole baseball conversation in class I hate to admit that I am a bit “Goffman” about the whole baseball identity trying to be established. By being “Goffman” I mean that I am a bit cynical about the project. It feels as if a front of community unity is being created through this whole baseball motif. The baseball stadium seemed to echo a united love for baseball and its history when in reality a not-so-great team doesn’t exactly cause the public to swoon for the sport. Therefore my cynicism founded the question as to why try to unify such a separated area through the love for baseball? Why not create unity by building a library in which people can really become united through their love of learning rather than a sport? Though Goffman was a cynical man, through his book I learned that sometimes a little bit of doubt can beget thoughts and questions that otherwise may not have been asked.

No comments: